Emphasize simplicity, automate repetitive tasks, write efficient well formatted code, and challenge todays best practices to forge tomorrows.
Databases: postgresql, redis, mariadb / mysql, mongodb
Version Control: git, mercurial
Virtualization: xen, virtualbox, parallels, vmware, vagrant, packer, docker
Web and Proxy Servers: nginx, apache
Providers: AWS, DigitalOcean
File Sharing: samba, sshfs
Configuration Management: terraform, ansible, chef, puppet
Libraries and Frameworks: jquery, backbone.js, zendframework 2, symfony, fuelphp, laravel, python gtk+3, python telepathy glib, aws sdk
Operation Systems: Linux (debian, fedora, sugar, arch, ubuntu, mint, crunchbang, raspbian, centos) | Unix (OS X) | Windows (95 - 8.1)
Architecture, Programming Design, and Development Practices: scalable architecture, continuous integration, continuous deployment, server automation and configuration management, image baking, object oriented programming, design patterns, model view controller pattern, database normalization, database object relational model, nosql schema design, agile development, scrum, networking topology design, virtualization with iommu, optimizing virtual system kernels
- ellucian, February 2015 - Current
- Aided other product teams in the company with the adoption of infrastructure modeled after ours for their own services.
- Rewrote a drastically simplified terraform infrastructure for ECS with loosely coupled container deployment and configuration tooling, which cut cost in half, reduced deployment times from 20 minutes to 3 minutes, and significantly fewer errors.
- helped write the core infrastructure using CloudFormation, migrated to terraform, and now in production for ethos integration.
- wrote a routing service in go to direct complex traffic inside our VPC (Virtual Private Cloud), which can preempt token authentication and proxies all public/inbound traffic.
- helping aid in decisions that will improve account structure, resource ownership, budgeting, automation options and reliability, reduce costs, and increase deployment stability.
- hudl, June 2014 - January 2015
- assist in managing aws assets, including hundreds of web servers, and dozens of mongodb servers
- help write, troubleshoot, and connect a myriad of glue-layer services for error reporting and alerting, deployment, and registered service management
- Stanley Gibbons, September 2013 - May 2014
- created php compatible image management service with scalable bash script for parallel execution to resize over 40 million images on an array of AWS EC2 images in under one business day
- prepared custom vagrant ubuntu box with puppet, later converted to debian with bash for speed of execution
- helped migrate bidstart.com from a single servint to multiple AWS EC2’s
- learned ZendFramework 2, Symfony, Puppet, Vagrant, GraphicsMagick/ImageMagick/Gd, Doctrine, and Mongodb in 6 months
- Google Summer of Code, Summer 2013
- Freelance Developer & IT Consultant 2003 - current
- created numerous personal projects available on my github account
- created technical videos on my youtube account
- written a number of tutorials, guides, and articles on best practices on my portfolio website
- provided consulting and web development services to small businesses
- volunteer forum developer, host, & administrator for seaofnumbers.com, coming from instantz.net and inpforums.com taken down in August 2012
- Martino Flynn, Developer Co-Op, Summer 2012
- designed the database, wireframes and infrastructure of the company intranet rebuild, including mobile services
- rebuilt the intranet using FuelPHP, jQuery, and Backbonejs including integrating a live notification system and issue tracker
- helped rebuild sections of amesbury.com, including an articles system and PDF locator.
- maintained absorbine.com and optimized the sphinx search engine.
- helped construct secure contact forms for Segar Law
- Time Warner Cable, Rochester, NY, 2009
- assisted callers by phone with their accounts and limited technical assistance
- conceptualized and Prototyped web based system to improve order process efficiency
- ESL Federal Credit Union, Rochester, NY, 2008 - 2009
- assisted callers by phone with financial investments and loans
- Washington Mutual Bank, Albion, NY, 2006 – 2008
- assisted callers by phone with financial accounts
- selected to teach a course on efficient use of the command line system to my peers
- awarded employee of the month twice, and “Best of the ECC”, an award given annually to 12 out of over 1000 employees
- CompTIA IT Technician A+ Certified, July 2009
- High School Regents Diploma, Norman Howard School, Rochester, NY 2003
- Two Year Occupational Program in Computer Information Systems at We-Mo-Co, Ogden, NY 2003
- Accounted for a quarter of my graduation credits.
- A powerful thirst for knowledge and exceptional independent education skills.
- Adept problem solving skills, excelling in the implementation of unique solutions.
- Prefers working with groups in paired programming or team settings, recognizing that contributing brains is always beneficial.
- Enjoys challenging work, and experimenting with new technology.